Then working in maya I made changes to scaling. Because now having story set and clear idea it also became clear how much of each environment is needed.
For pre-viz and animation purposes I figured to do initial environment modeling which will be developed through the entire project time simultaneously to other tasks. Again, I bothered myself enough to solve problems in concept art stage, so that when I'm building it serves as a reference.
Trees at the moment are only basic representations. To give an idea how many of them I need and what actually can be achieved with matt paintings.
As I mentioned before, I try to keep the translation from 2d to 3d as close as possible, however, particularly in Dream Island's case, there are lots of things that don't translate as successfully and fail to create the intended feel of the environment ... A Yellow sticker there...
For now this is pretty much enough to inform animating, so apart from rigging problem there is no reason to wait with animating.