30 Dec 2010

Dream Island...

For this artwork to be born I had to merge myself with a very dreamy mood. I was thinking about what ever  beautiful the whole time of painting ( about 1 and a half days) and found that this was a way to go into a very festive mood as well , (New Years tomorow!)  :)

This time I went for a new method, and so it started from designin separate props.  I've design Ivan's house, sails, wind-mills, lanterns, "trees"  before going into the whole concept of the Island.

When I was designing his house I tried to bring concepts of nesting-box, Chinese Lantern and incorporate elements from Ivan's design itself, so that the audience gets the feeling of the house  actually is bird's home. Also all the ideas had to flow into a  hand-crafted construct. I imagined, a kid had built it ( you should notice hand prints on the house).


Sails are another element in the island. Here is the variation I used.


These are "trees" a surreal element which adds to the flavour of Dream island, since it's not as logical element ( like sails, wind-mills  or nesting-box).  The design is almost entirely taken from my previous graphics work Pixie.

There were some "touches" to fynalise the composition or direct attention in my  sketch. And today I found the obvious solution wind-mills. It suits the mood, shape and theme perfectly. Also in later stages of animation it will serve as that aditional little element which brings  Island to life.



So as posted previously everything started from composition resolution





With this chosen composition a more detailed sketch was resolved.


By starting from background I  roughed in  main shapes.





Then brought all the elements I had worked out before and placed it according to sketch.


Then textures...

Lighting, shadows, layering,  tweaking, ect.



In the second half of the whole painting process my  main concern was to direct attention corectly. Because theres so much happening here, it's so easy to be overwhelmed by fancy style. House should stand out. Also I don't know if I succseded, but didn't want the Island to feel completely flat, rather as i there is a cosy space just in the center.
I'm still not sure if all this is working, because, quite obviously it doesn't follow the rule, less is more :D And who knows, maybe it should...
Island is a symbol of dreams come true so  I tried to make it rich...

2 comments:

  1. I think the rule 'less is more' should apply here, though the painting is lovely ( I particularly love those tree designs! ) It seems a bit too busy. On another note, everything seems to be of the same colour. Why not change the colours of the trees for example to make them pop more. I'd love to see some lovely, daring colours in here. If it's all seperate layers it shouldn't be too hard to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jon, I think I too had the same suggestions when I was drawing :) but for one reasn or another (like if I bring a bigger variety of colours the island looses the feel of interconnection and feels more like a collection of objects) I ended up with this look.
    though have everything tidy in separate layers so I will give it a go and try to experiment as you suggested :)

    ReplyDelete